There shall be six (6) categories of membership of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (EAPD): Active, Associate, International, Student, Retired and Honorary.
A. ACTIVE: An ethical dentist may be considered for Active membership provided the applicant is currently working within the European region as defined by the World Health Organization (www.who.int) and is a member of, and maintains membership in a national dental association in the European region and should satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
1. Has qualified according to the curriculum guidelines for education and training in paediatric dentistry of EAPD (Int J Paediatr Dent 1997:7:4:273-81). The chairperson/head of the postgraduate programme must provide the following information for the applicant to submit:
2. Is in a full-time academic post with continuous clinical activity in a University Department of Paediatric Dentistry within the European region.
3. Is already registered as a specialist paediatric dentist on a state specialist register list of his/her own country in the European region.
B. ASSOCIATE: An ethical dentist may be considered for Associate membership provided the applicant is currently working within the European region as defined by the World Health Organization and is a member of, and maintains membership in a national dental association in the European region and should satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
1. The individual practices in the area of Paediatric Dentistry but the dentist’s postgraduate education does not meet the educational requirements for Active membership of EAPD.
2. The individual’s primary concern and activity is in an area of education, research or practice related to Paediatric Dentistry.
C. INTERNATIONAL: An ethical dentist may be considered for International membership if practising paediatric dentistry outside the European region as defined by World Health Organization and otherwise would satisfy the conditions for Active or Associate Membership.
D. STUDENT: This category of membership is available, upon formal application by a dentist enrolled in a full or part-time educational programme in Paediatric Dentistry that complies with the EAPD postgraduate programme requirements. The applicant must submit a letter from his/her Head of Department confirming his/her status as a postgraduate student on a training programme in Paediatric Dentistry. The maximum length of student membership is 3 years.
E. RETIRED: Retired membership shall, upon application, be available to:
1. Active or Associate members who have retired from dental practice, administration, research and/or teaching, with the stipulation that the member has been either an Active or Associate dues-paying member for the calendar year in which application for Retired membership is made.
2. Retired membership is not available to members who have formally retired but who continue to be engaged in part-time practice or employed in a dental administrative, research or teaching capacity on a full-time or part-time basis for which significant remuneration is received. In the event that a Retired member resumes practice or teaching with significant remuneration, it shall be incumbent upon that member to notify the EAPD for reinstatement to the former category of membership.
F. HONORARY: Individuals may be nominated for Honorary membership.
The Credentials and Ethics Committee may elect honorary members for exceptional and outstanding contributions to Paediatric Dentistry, following nomination by an Active member, who shall submit a recommendation to the above committee substantiating evidence of the nominee’s qualification for such membership. The unanimous recommendation of the Credentials and Ethics Committee and approval of the Board and Council shall be required for consideration for election. An affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the membership present, eligible to vote and voting at any session of the General Assembly shall be required for approval.
Privileges of Student members will terminate on the date of completion of the individual’s advanced educational programme or three years after their registration as student members.